Our research program is funded though national, regional and international sources of funding. Our group current total research support stands at about $3.5 million dollars. The main source of funding comes from the State of Qatar, through the Qatar National Research Fund, a member organization of Qatar Foundation. Qatar Foundation is leading a monumental and historical initiative to establish world-class scientific research at the heart of the Arab World/Middle East.
Current Research Funding:
Project: Characterizing the HIV/AIDS epidemics in the Middle East and North Africa: Systematic reviews and quantitative assessment (Renewal) (funded by Qatar National Research Fund through National Priorities Research Program).
Project: Tuberculosis and diabetes: Quantifying the adverse impact of rising diabetes prevalence on tuberculosis global burden, and estimating the impact of targeted interventions on tuberculosis transmission (funded by Qatar National Research Fund through National Priorities Research Program).
Project: Quantitative mapping of HIV incidence among stable couples and evaluation of impact of interventions targeting sero-discordant couples (funded by Qatar National Research Fund through National Priorities Research Program).
Project: Critical assessment of the drivers of the hepatitis C virus epidemic in Egypt: A quantitative approach (funded by Qatar National Research Fund through Junior Scientist Research Experience Program).
Project: Understanding the sexual network determinants of the epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections: Quantitative assessment (funded by the Qatar National Research Fund through National Priorities Research Program).
Biomedical Research Program (funded by the Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar & Qatar Foundation).
Previous Research Funding:
The following organizations have provided the primary sources of funding for our research in the past years:
United States of America
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Puget Sound Partners for Global Health (PSPGH)
- Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Wellcome Trust
- Science and Technology Agency of Japan (STA) - Japan
- Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) - Japan
- World Bank - International
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) - International
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) - International
- World Health Organization (WHO) – International
- Global Fund to Fight HIV, Tuberculosis and Malaria
Key Collaborating Institutions
- Weill Cornell Medicine – New York
- Supreme Council of Health
- Hamad Medical Corporation
- Qatar Red Crescent Worker Health Center
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- University of Washington
- Imperial College London
- World Bank
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS – Headquarters, Middle East and North Africa Regional Office, and country-level offices
- World Health Organization – WHO Headquarters and Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office of the World Health Organization
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- American University of Beirut
- University of California – San Francisco