WCM-Q recognizes achievements of promoted faculty
Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar has honored the achievements of 12 of its faculty members who have been promoted in the last 12 months, including two who achieved the rank of full professor.
In a usual year, the efforts and hard work of these faculty members would have been celebrated with an appreciation lunch, but that has been prevented by the COVID-19 pandemic. However, the dean of WCM-Q, Dr. Javaid Sheikh, did not want to miss the opportunity to congratulate all those promoted.
Dr. Sheikh said: “I offer my sincere congratulations to this remarkable group of talented and accomplished educators, clinicians, and scientists who are preparing our students to be tomorrow’s medical leaders, advancing our knowledge of bio-medical research and delivering the highest possible quality of clinical care to Qatar’s citizens. It is especially gratifying to welcome two faculty members to the rank of professor.
“This year more than ever, medical professionals have been at the forefront of our thoughts and I am so proud to say that these 12 colleagues - like all of our faculty members – truly embody the qualities that we expect in medical leaders; intellectual excellence, compassionate care and strong commitment to their students, research and patients.”
Dr. Sheikh’s comments were echoed by Dr. Khaled Machaca, professor of physiology and biophysics and senior associate dean for research, innovations, and commercialization at WCM-Q, who said that the college’s faculty were central to its success and standing within the world.
Dr. Machaca said: “Our faculty are the heart of the institution and it is through their achievements, dedication, innovation, and hard work that WCM-Q has leaped from one significant milestone to the next over the past two decades. Heartfelt congratulations to all our primary and affiliated faculty who were promoted during these unusual times of the Covid-19 pandemic. It is unfortunate that we will not be able to celebrate their achievements in person, but I take comfort in the fact that their successes during this trying year are not only advancing their career goals but providing us all with significant scholarly successes and accomplishments of which to celebrate and be proud.”
Dr. Thurayya Arayssi, WCM-Q professor of clinical medicine and senior associate dean for medical education and continuing professional development, added her commendation to the 12 promoted faculty members, who work at WCM-Q but also the college’s affiliated institutions where they offer students their experience and knowledge in a clinical environment.
Dr. Arayssi said: "Warm congratulations to all of our faculty members who were promoted this year. We thank you wholeheartedly for your hard work, dedication and commitment to the mission of WCM-Q. The faculty is the core of our fine institution and the principal reason for its accomplishments and its success. Thanks to our faculty, the curriculum continued to be delivered smoothly this spring despite the sudden and immense challenges brought by COVID-19.
“I look forward to better times ahead when we can meet and celebrate in person again."
Promoted to Professor
· Ali A. Sultan, MD, PhD, promoted to professor of teaching in microbiology and immunology
· Abdullatif Mohamed Alkhal, MBBCh, promoted to adjunct professor of clinical medicine
Promoted to Associate Professor
· Alice Abdel Aleem, MBBCh, MD, promoted to associate professor of research in neurology and associate professor of research in neuroscience
· Joel A. Malek, PhD, promoted to associate professor of genetic medicine
· Noora Mohammed A. A. Al-Hammadi, MD, promoted to associate professor of clinical radiation oncology
· Nidal Ahmed Asaad, MBBS, promoted to associate professor of clinical medicine
· Ibrahim Mohamed Fawzy Hassan, MD, promoted to associate professor of clinical medicine and associate professor of clinical genetic medicine
· Aisha Larem, MD, promoted to associate professor of clinical otolaryngology
Promoted to Assistant Professor
· Kulsoom Junejo, MBBS, promoted to assistant professor of clinical surgery
· Suruchi Mohan, MBBS, promoted to assistant professor of clinical obstetrics and gynecology
· Nagham Dhiaa Sadik, MBChB, promoted to assistant professor of clinical medicine
· Khaleel Mohammad Khaleel Salameh, MBChB, promoted to assistant professor of clinical pediatrics
More information about the promoted faculty is available at https://qatar-weill.cornell.edu/faculty/faculty-promotions/promotions-academic-year-2019-2020.