Dr. Clare McVeigh obtained her B.A. (Hons) and M.Sc. in Biological Anthropology and Palaeopathology at the University of Sheffield, UK. She was awarded a Commonwealth Scholarship to undertake a Ph.D. at McMaster University, Canada in 1995, where she investigated the effect of the environment on human dental development. She subsequently became a lecturer in Human Anatomy at California State University, San Bernardino. She returned to the UK in 2004 to become Director of Violence Prevention and Intelligence at John Moores University. During this time she collaborated with the World Health Organisation and co-authored the influential report Violent Britain (2005). In 2007 she took a position as Senior Lecturer in Human Biology at the University of South Wales, where she contributed towards their successful Pre-medical degree program. In 2014 she accepted the position of Senior Lecturer in Biology at Weill Cornell Medical School in Qatar.
Dr. McVeigh’s primary focus is on the development and implementation of successful and innovative teaching methods and practice, an area in which she has received numerous awards on both sides on the Atlantic. Her research interests continue to be diverse and wide ranging, and include peer-reviewed publications in the areas of forensic osteology and odontology, palaeopathology, and palaeodemography.
- Parker, G., & McVeigh, C. (2013). Do not cut the grass: expressions of British Gypsy-Traveller identity on cemetery memorials. Mortality 18(3): 290-312
- Ambrus, K. and McVeigh, C. (2011) Scientific Appendix. In Konig Frigyes (ed) Arcrekonstrukcio/ Facial Reconstruction. 91-111. Budapest, Semmelweis Kiado
- Beynon, C.M., McVeigh, C., McVeigh, J., Leavey, C., Bellis, M.A. (2008) The involvement of drugs and alcohol in drug-facilitated sexual assault: a systematic review of the evidence. Trauma Violence and Abuse 9 (3): 178-188
- McVeigh, C., Hughes, K., Bellis, M.A., Reed, E., Ashton, J.A. and Syed, Q. (2005) Violent Britain: People, Prevention and Public Health LJMU Press
- McVeigh C, Hughes K, Lushey C, Bellis MA (2005) Preventing Violence: From Global Perspectives to National Action. LJMU Press