Listed below are the requirements to apply for admission to the Six-Year Medical Program.
- Secondary School Completion
- Standardized Tests
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Reference
1. Secondary School Completion
- The equivalent of an American college preparatory education, including rigorous university preparatory curricula or programs covering advanced mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics and other relevant subjects.
- Strongest possible university preparatory curriculum offered within the applicant's school system (applicants are expected to complete A Level exams in British schools, AP exams in American schools, and HL exams in IB schools).
- Graduation with outstanding academic merit.
2. Standardized Tests
College Entrance Examinations
- SAT Reasoning Test or ACT.
- SAT Subject Tests are recommended in Mathematics Level II and two relevant sciences.
We do not use minimum scores as absolute cutoffs in screening applications. However, academic excellence is expected. Overall academic strength is supported by high standardized test scores along with other reliable indicators, such as secondary school grades.
NOTE: Acceptable scores on English language proficiency examinations (see below) do not substitute for acceptable scores on the reading and writing components of the SAT or ACT.
English Language Proficiency Examinations
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
A student who does not achieve the scores listed below on college entrance examinations must take an English proficiency test. The following tests are considered suitable measures of English ability: the TOEFL and the IELTS. The IELTS UKVI (Academic IELTS) is suitable as well.
The TOEFL and IELTS can be waived if one of the following criteria is met:
In most cases an applicant must take the TOEFL or IELTS. The TOEFL and IELTS can only be waived if one of the following criteria is met:
- Obtaining a score of 32 or above on the Reading Test of the new SAT (exams taken in March 2016 and beyond).
- Obtaining a score of 25 or higher on the English portion of the ACT.
You should note that the TOEFL and/or IELTS are only one indicator of English proficiency. We also consider your scores on the SAT Critical Reading and Writing, SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing or ACT English tests, your performance in English courses you are taking or have taken, your writing on the application form and in the essays you submit, and the communication skills you display in your interview.
3. Personal Statement
All applicants must submit a personal statement that addresses his or her interest in and motivation for a career in medicine. Because there is no set combination of grade-point average and standardized test scores that will guarantee admission to our program, our committee looks beyond these numbers. We look for applicants who can demonstrate that they have taken fullest advantage of opportunities, who care about their community, and who have developed special talents in other fields beyond their academic studies. Ideally, a personal statement should reflect such qualities as:
- Motivation to enter medicine
- Maturity and stability
- Intellectual potential
- Leadership qualities
- Love of learning
- Strength of character
- Special abilities or talents
- Diligence and dedication
- Integrity and honesty
- Sense of fairness
4. Letters of Reference
- All applicants should submit a minimum of two letters of reference written in English. One by their science/math teachers and one by their principals/college advisors. The most useful letters provide specific examples of the applicant's academic commitment and abilities (indicators of probable success) and of the personal qualities or accomplishments that make the applicant unique. Please ask writers to use the forms provided within the online application.
- Applicants whose credentials best meet our selection criteria will be invited to appear for personal interviews. Applicants asked to appear for interviews must participate in this process in order to be considered for acceptance. All interviews are held in Doha, Qatar.