Dr. James Roach returned to WCM-Q after serving one year as interim chair of the Department of Physical Sciences at Emporia State University.
During his previous appointment at WCM-Q, Dr. Roach was renowned as an exceptional teacher who was very highly regarded by faculty, staff, and students alike. Dr. Roach's outstanding performance and dedication to teaching were recognized with the WCMC Excellence in Teaching Award in 2010 and 2011.
Dr. Roach received a Ph.D. in physical chemistry in 1996 from the University of Oklahoma. He is a chemist with an outstanding teaching career that spans almost fifteen years at universities in the United States and in the Middle East, including Campbellsville University in Kentucky, Emporia State University, and Alfaisal University in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Roach's research interests focus specifically on the uses of colloidal systems in wastewater remediation, in enhanced oil recovery, in seawater desalination, and on chemical education. During his career, he has attracted several grants to fund his research, first authored seven papers in peer-reviewed journals, and presented his research at several professional conferences.
- Roach JD, Premjee MM, Buddhavarapu S, Hassib A. A study of the partitioning of haloacetates into cetylpyridinium chloride micelles using semiequilibrium dialysis and ultrafiltration. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 2013; 394, 293-300.
- Roach JD, Lane RF, Hussain Y. Comparative Study of the Uses of Poly(4-vinylpyridine) and Poly(diallyldimethylammonium) Chloride for the Removal of Perchlorate from Aqueous Solution Through Polyelectrolyte-Enhanced Ultrafiltration. Water Research 2011; 45:1387-1393.
- Roach JD, Zapien JH. Inorganic ligand-modified, colloid-enhanced ultrafiltration: A novel method for removing uranium from aqueous solution. Water Research 2009; 43:4751-4759.
- Roach JD. Als Ik Kan ... My New Year's Resolution. Journal of Chemical Education 2008; 85(6):768-769.
- Roach JD. Tush, D. Equilibrium Dialysis and Ultrafiltration Investigations of Perchlorate Removal from Aqueous Solution Using Poly(diallyldimethylammonium) chloride. Water Research 2008; 42:1204-1210.
- Roach JD. Christian SD, Scamehorn JF, Taylor RW, Tucker EE. Ligand Modified-Colloid Enhanced Ultrafiltration. Use of Nitrilotriacetic Acid Derivatives For the Selective Removal of Lead From Aqueous Solution. Separation Science and Technology 2003; 38(9):1925-1947.