Director, Clinical Research Core
Phone: (+974) 4492 8998
Dr. Shahrad Taheri joined Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q) in August 2013 as Professor of Medicine and Director of the Clinical Research Core . Dr. Taheri has extensive experience of leading the multi-professional care of patients with obesity and diabetes within the UK NHS. He has also led large multidisciplinary research teams aiming to develop, implement, and evaluate clinical services for patients with diabetes and obesity.
Dr. Taheri’s research experience extends from basic laboratory to human intervention, and population studies. His research interests are increasingly focused on the development, conduct, and implementation of a range of clinical trials into diabetes and obesity, and linking these trials to investigation of disease mechanisms through laboratory studies.
Dr. Taheri has a vibrant portfolio of research studies into diabetes, obesity, and sleep. His goal at WCMC-Q is to develop and lead an internationally recognized, dedicated, collaborative research group performing clinically relevant investigation into diabetes and obesity, and their complications. This approach aims to have a major impact on public health, patient care, and advancement of medical science, making a significant contribution to Qatar’s healthcare system and Qatar’s vision to develop as a center of excellence in medical research.
- Arora T, Broglia E, Pushpakumar D, Lodhi T, Taheri S. An Investigation into the Strength of the Association and Agreement Levels between Subjective and Objective Sleep Duration in Adolescents. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 9;8(8):e72406. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072406. PubMed PMID: 23951321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3739794.
- Arora T, Hussain S, Hubert Lam KB, Lily Yao G, Neil Thomas G, Taheri S. Exploring the complex pathways among specific types of technology, self-reported sleep duration and body mass index in UK adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013 Jan 8. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2012.209. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23295500.
- Stradling C, Chen YF, Russell T, Connock M, Thomas GN, Taheri S. The effects of dietary intervention on HIV dyslipidaemia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e38121. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0038121. Epub 2012 Jun 11. Review. PubMed PMID: 22701607; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3372478.
- Arora T, Jiang CQ, Thomas GN, Lam KB, Zhang WS, Cheng KK, Lam TH, Taheri S. Self-reported long total sleep duration is associated with metabolic syndrome: the Guangzhou Biobank Cohort Study. Diabetes Care. 2011 Oct;34(10):2317-9. doi: 10.2337/dc11-0647. Epub 2011 Aug 26. PubMed PMID: 21873559; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3177714.
- Taheri S, Austin D, Lin L, Nieto FJ, Young T, Mignot E. Correlates of serum C-reactive protein (CRP)-no association with sleep duration or sleep disordered breathing. Sleep. 2007 Aug;30(8):991-6. PubMed PMID: 17702268; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC1978379.
- Taheri S, Lin L, Austin D, Young T, Mignot E. Short sleep duration is associated with reduced leptin, elevated ghrelin, and increased body mass index. PLoS Med. 2004 Dec;1(3):e62. Epub 2004 Dec 7. PubMed PMID: 15602591; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC535701.