Phone: (+974) 4492 8214
Dr. Chen joined Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q) in August 2012. Prior to coming to WCMC-Q, she served as Director of Investigative Biology Laboratory at Cornell University. In that role, she developed and implemented modern laboratory topics focusing on scientific investigations and communication in science, lectured weekly on lab topics, trained and supervised lab instructors, and directed the day-to-day operation of the lab courses. Additionally, she served as academic advisors for many biology students.
Dr. Chen’s research interests focus on population genetics and phylogeography of lower vertebrates using molecular markers. Currently she is leading student research on DNA barcoding of herpetofauna in Qatar. Dr. Chen has a parallel interest in human population genetics using microsatellite DNA and has published case study teaching tools using these markers. In addition to publications in peer-reviewed journals, she has co-authored several books and is an active member in biology lab teaching societies.
- Chen K-C. Tutankhamun’s family secret: using case study and molecular markers to teach human heredity. Buffalo, NY: National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo, State University of New York. http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/collection/author_list.asp?author_id=1511
- Chen K-C. Limiting nutrient and algal growth: designing an individualized undergraduate research project. Tested Studies for Laboratory Teaching. Proceedings of the 34th Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education; 2012 Jun 19-22; Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA. In press.
- Chen, K-C. Population genetics of human microsatellite DNA – from forensics to genealogy. Test Studies for Laboratory Teaching. Proceedings of the 33rd Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education; 2011 Jun 14-17; Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA. 2012. p.8-30.
- Chen K-C. Human microsatellite DNA: population genetics and forensic application. Test Studies for Laboratory Teaching. Proceedings of the 32nd Workshop/Conference of the Association for Biology Laboratory Education; 2010 Jun 22-26; Halifax, Canada. 2011. p.314-7.
- Chen K-C, Borowsky RL. Comparative phylogeography of Xiphophorus variatus and Heterandria jonesi (Poeciliidae) using RAPD data. Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters. 2004 Mar;15(1):25-40.
- Witte K, Chen K-C, Wilczynski W, Ryan MJ. Influence of amplexus on phonotaxis in the Cricket Frog Acris crepitans blanchardi. Copeia. 2000 Feb 1;2000(1):257-61.
- Chen K-C, Mok HK. Sound production in the anemonefishes, Amphiprion-clarkii and Amphiprion frenatus (Pomacentridae), in captivity. Japanese Journal of Ichthyology. [Note]. 1988 May;35(1):90-7.