The Institute's Population Health research program will focus on problems of public health importance to the State of Qatar. Some of the topics, which the division will focus on, are motor vehicle injuries and other injuries, health and disease prevalence patterns, use of herbal and nutritional supplements and risk factors associated to chronic diseases among the Qatari population.
Ongoing research projects:
- Epidemiological Study of Motor Vehicle Injuries
- Diabetes: It’s Epidemiological and Public Health Aspects
Some Recent Publications:
- Cheema S, Maisonneuve P, Weber I, Fernandez-Luque
, Abraham A, Alrouh H, Sheikh J, Lowenfels AB, Mamtani R.
Knowledge and perceptions about Zika virus in
a Middle East country.
BMC Infect Dis. 2017 Jul
26;17(1):524. doi: 10.1186/s12879-017-2603-6. Available
- Chaabna K,
Cheema S, Mamtani R. Migrants, healthy worker effect, and mortality trends in
the Gulf Cooperation Council countries.
PLoS One. 2017 Jun 20;12(6):e0179711. doi:
10.1371/journal.pone.0179711. eCollection 2017. Available
- Cheema S, Maisonneuve P, Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AA, Abraham A, Al-Mannai GA, Al-Emadi AA, Al-Chetachi WF, Almalki BA, Hassan Khalifa SE, Haj Bakri AO, Lowenfels A, Mamtani R. Oral health behavior and factors associated with poor oral status in Qatar: results from a national health survey. J
Public Health Dent
. 2017 Mar 28. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12209. Available here
- Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AA, Cheema S, Sheikh JI, Mamtani R, Lowenfels AB, Al-Chetachi WF, Almalki BA, Hassan Khalifa SE, Bakri AO, Maisonneuve P. Prevalence and determinants of metabolic syndrome in Qatar: results from a National Health Survey BMJ Open. 2016 Sep 6;6(9):e009514. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009514. Available here
- Mamtani, R, Cheema, S, Sheikh JI, Cancer risk in waterpipe smokers: a meta-analysis J. et al. Int J Public Health (2017) 62: 73. doi:10.1007/s00038-016-0856-2. Available here
- Abdelrahim H, Elnashar M, Khidir A, Killawi A, Maya Hammoud, Al-Khal A & Fetters M. Patient Perspectives on Language Discordance During Healthcare Visits: Findings From the Extremely High-Density Multicultural State of Qatar. Journal of Health Communication. 2017 DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2017.1296507. Available here
- AlRawi S, Khidir A, Elnashar M, Abdelrahim H, Killawi A, Hammoud M & Fetters M. Traditional Arabic *& Islamic Medicine: validation and empirical assessment of a conceptual model in Qatar. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.2017. 17:157 -DOI 10.1186/s12906-017-1639-. Available here
- Bylund C, Alyafei K, Afana A, Al-Romaihi S, Yassin M, Elnashar M, Al-Arab B, Al-Khal A. Implementing communication skills training for physicians in Qatar. Journal of Family and Community Medicine. 2016. Available here
- Bylund C, Alyafei K, Anand A, Al Marri A, Omer W, Sinha T, Alam W, Abdelrahim H, Al-Khal A. Implementing and tailoring a western-developed communication skills training program fro graduate medical trainees in Qatar. International Journal of Medical Education. 2017;8:16-18. Doi: 10.5116/ijme.5856.72b4. 2016.
- Khidir A, Asad H, Abdelrahim H, Elnashar M, Killawi A, Hammoud M, Al-khal A., Pascale Haddad & Fetters M.. Patient responses to research recruitment and follow-up surveys: findings from a diverse multicultural health care setting in Qatar. BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2016. 16:10 DOI 10.1186/s12874-016-0109-3. Avilable here
- Killawi A, Khidir A, Elnashar M, Abdelrahim H, Hammoud M, Elliott HA, Thurston M, Asad H, Al-Khal A, Fetters MD. Procedures of recruiting, obtaining informed consent, and compensating research participants in Qatar: Findings from a qualitative investigation. BMC Med Ethics. 2014. 15(1):9. Available here
- Hammoud M, Elnashar M, Abdelrahim H, Khidir A, Elliott HAK, Killawi A, Padela AI, Al Khal AL, Bener A, Fetters MD. Challenges and opportunities of US and Arab collaborations in health services research: A case study from Qatar. Glob J Health Sci, 4(6): 148-59, 2012. Available here
- Bylund CL, Alyafei K, Afana A, Al-Romaihi S, Yassin M, Elnashar M, Al-Arab B, Al-Khal A. Satisfaction with a 2-day communication skills course culturally tailored for medical specialists in Qatar. J Fam Community Med 2017;24:122-7. Available here
- Khidir A, Asad H, Abdelrahim H, Elnashar M, Killawi A, Hammoud M, Al-Khal AL, Haddad P, Fetters MD. Patient responses to research recruitment and follow-up surveys: findings from a diverse multicultural health care setting in Qatar. BMC Med Res Methodology. 2016 Jan 26;16:10. doi: 10.1186/s12874-016-0109-3. Available here
- Tomei S, Mamtani R, Al Ali R, Elkum N, Abdulmalik M, Ismail A, Cheema S, Rouh HA, Aigha, II, Hani F, Al-Samraye S, Taher Aseel M, El Emadi N, Al Mujalli A, Abdelkerim A, Youssif S, Worschech A, El Sebakhy E, Temanni R, Khanna V, Wang E, Kizhakayil D, Al-Thani AA, Al-Thani M, Lowenfels A, Marincola FM, Sheikh J, Chouchane L. Obesity susceptibility loci in Qataris, a highly consanguineous Arabian population. J Transl Med. 2015 Apr 13;13:119. doi: 10.1186/s12967-015-0459-3. Available here
- Mamtani R, Alrouh H, Cheema S, Lowenfels AB. Migrant mortality in Qatar. Injury. 2015 Oct 19. pii: S0020-1383(15)00619-1. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2015.10.017. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Mahfoud Z, Cheema S, Alrouh H, Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AM, Mamtani R. Seat belt and mobile phone use among vehicle drivers in the city of Doha, Qatar: an observational study. BMC Public Health. Volume 15. Available here
- Mamtani R, Cheema S, MacRae B, Alrouh H, Lopez T, El Hajj M, Mahfoud Z. Herbal and nutritional supplement use among college students in Qatar. EMHJ: Vol. 21 No. 1, 2015. Available here
- Gerber LM, Mamtani R, Chiu YL, Bener A, Murphy M, Cheema S and Verjee M. Use of complementary and alternative medicine among midlife Arab women living in Qatar. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal EMHJ: Vol. 20 No. 9, 2014. Available here
- Mamtani R, Lowenfels AB, Sheikh JI, Cheema S, Al-Hamaq A, Mathis SA, El-Nahas KG, Maisonneuve P. Adolescent prediabetes in a high risk Middle East Country: a cross-sectional study. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, JSRM Open. August 2014 Vol 5:No 8. DOI: 10.1177/2054270414536550. Available here
- Killawi A, Khidir A, Elnashar M, Abdelrahim H, Hammoud M, Elliott H, Thurston M, Asad H, Al-Khal AL and Fetters MD. Procedures of recruiting, obtaining informed consent, and compensating research participants in Qatar: findings from a qualitative investigation. BMC Medical Ethics 2014, 15:9. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6939-15-9. Available here
- Mamtani R, Lowenfels AB, Cheema S, Sheikh JI. Impact of migrant workers on the Human Development Index. Perspectives in Public Health, published on 5 June, 2013. DOI: 1177/1757913913491350. Available here
- Alrouh H, Ismail A, and Cheema S. (2013). Demographic and health indicators in Gulf Cooperation Council nations with an emphasis on Qatar. Journal of Local and Global Health Perspectives: Vol. 2013, 3. DOI: 10.5339/jlghp.2013.3. Published online: 06 Mar 2013. Available here
- Chouchane L, Mamtani R, Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AA, Ameduri M, Sheikh JI. Medical education and research environment in Qatar: a new epoch for translational research in the Middle East. Journal of Translational Medicine. 2011 Jan 27; 9:16. Available here
- Elnashar, M; Abdelrahim, H; Fetters, MD (2012). "Cultural Competence Springs Up in the Desert: The Story of the Center for Cultural Competence in Health Care at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar." Academic Medicine 87(6): 759-766. Available here
- Mamtani R, Stern P, Dawood I, Cheema S. Metals and disease: a global primary health care perspective. Journal of Toxicology 2011; 2011: 319136. Published online 2011 October 5. doi: 10.1155/2011/319/136. Available here
- Mamtani R, Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AM, Sheikh JI, Lowenfels AB. Motor vehicle injuries in Qatar: time trends in a rapidly developing Middle Eastern nation. Injury Prevention. doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2011-040147. Published online first 12 October 2011. Available here