Dr. Raoof joined Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar (WCM-Qatar) in November 2016. Prior to that, Dr. Raoof spent roughly two years as an Associate Professor of Anatomy at Oakland University William Beaumont (OUWB) School of Medicine in Michigan, the United States. During this short period of time, Dr. Raoof attained the Faculty Fellowship in Medical Education and the Medical Education Certificate. He was also recognized for his service as a member of Medical School’s Admission Committee and was nominated as the Basic Science Educator of Year, among other achievements.
Prior to joining OUWB, Dr. Raoof was an Assistant Professor of Anatomy and Medical Education at the University of Michigan Medical School for about fifteen years where he served as the Director of Division of Anatomical Sciences (2010 – 2012), and Director of the Anatomical Donation Program. He directed the Plastination Lab (2004 – 2012). During his career at UM, Dr. Raoof received several national and university teaching awards, notably: The Kaiser Permanente Award for excellence in preclinical teaching, the most prestigious award given by the University of Michigan School of Medicine; Inaugural member of the League of Educational Excellence/Academy University of Michigan Medical School; Elizabeth Crosby Award for outstanding teaching of medical students in a basic science area, presented annually by the Galen’s Society to the best educator in the basic sciences at the University of Michigan School of Medicine; Thomas Verbedian Award for excellence in service to medical students; The Senior Award awarded by graduating medical students to the faculty member below the rank of associate professor who has best upheld the ideals of medical education; and; The AAMC/Pfizer Award for humanism in medical education.
Dr. Raoof has been a member of several professional organizations, including the American Association of Clinical Anatomists, American Association of Anatomists, International Association of Medical Sciences Educators, Association of Medical Education in Europe, International Society for Plastination, and the Association for the Study of Medical Education. During his active involvement in the American Association of Clinical Anatomists, he delivered several platform presentations and posters that focused principally on enhancing the efficiency of anatomy instruction at the University of Michigan and on the use of plastinated specimens in anatomy education, drawing from his own experience of preparing plastinated specimens and using them as teaching aids to hundreds of medical students at the University of Michigan and elsewhere.
Dr. Raoof research has focused on enhancing the role of plastination in anatomy education, assessing and improving the effectiveness of peer presentations/evaluation during gross anatomy lab sessions, and assessing the effectiveness of innovative teaching methods in the undergraduate anatomy course.
- Inaya Hajj Hussein, Jason Adam Wasserman, Ameed Raoof, Abdo Jurjus: Differences in Emotional Experience and Coping with Human Cadaver Dissection Between a Sample of US and Lebanese Medical Students: A Pilot Study. Medical Science Educator, 26(2), 203-206, 2016.
- Raoof, A., C. Marchese L. A. Marchese K.C. Falk N. Mirafzali: Painting Plastinated Neurovascular Pathways: Evaluation of Coloring Techniques. The Journal of Plastination, 25(2), 21-26, 2013.
- Raoof, A., L. Marchese A. Marchese A. Wischmeyer: Demonstration of Systolic and Diastolic Phases of the Cardiac Cycle in a Plastinated Human Heart. The Journal of Plastination, 25(1), 18-21, 2013.
- Raoof, A, RW Henry, RB Reed. Silicone Plastination of Biological Tissue: Room-Temperature Technique. DowTM/Corcoran technique and products. J Int Soc Plastination, 22, 21-25, 2007.
- A Aultman, J Blythe, H Sowder, R Trotter, A Raoof: Enhancing the Value of Organ Silicone Casts in Human Gross Anatomy Education. J Int Soc Plastination, 18, 9-13, 2003.
- Raoof, Ameed, Angelo Aya, Tom Boyd, Andrew Lozen: Enhancing Academically Diverse Students’ Learning and Interest in an Undergraduate Anatomy Course via Innovative Teaching Measures. J Int Ass Med Sci Edu, 13, 45-50, 2003.
- Raoof, Ameed: Using a Room-Temperature Plastination Technique in Assessing Prenatal Changes in the Human Spinal Cord. J Int Soc Plastination, 16, 5-8, 2001.
- MS Omar, AMS Raoof: Onchocerca fasciata: Histochemical Demonstration of Succinate and NADH Dehydrogenase. Journal of Helminthology, 70 (01), 47-51, 1996. Cambridge University Press.
- El-Shoura SM, Abdel Aziz M, Ali ME, el-Said MM, Ali KZ, Kemeir MA, Raoof AM, Allam M, Elmalik EM.: Deleterious Effects of Khat Addiction on Semen and Sperm Ultrastructure. Human Reproduction,10:2295-2300, 1995.
- Alakija W, Mahfouz A, Raoof A, Al-Khoozayem A, El-Erian RAG: Continuing Medical Education in Primary Health Care in Saudi Arabia: an Epidemiological Study of Physicians’ Needs in the Asir Region. J. Egypt Public Health Assoc. 69(5-6): 469-479, 1994.