Luncheon event honors promoted faculty
The achievements of recently promoted faculty from WCM-Q and affiliated institutions were acknowledged at a Promotion Recognition Luncheon held in their honor.
The event, hosted by Dr. Javaid Sheikh, dean of WCM-Q, and Dr. Robert Crone, vice dean for clinical and faculty affairs, recognized 17 faculty members from WCM-Q, Sidra, Aspetar, and a number of Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) facilities, including Hamad General Hospital, Al Khor Hospital, the Heart Hospital, and Al Wakrah Hospital. Faculty honored at the luncheon were variously promoted to the ranks of professor, associate professor and assistant professor during the 2017-18 academic year.
Speaking at the event, Dr. Crone said: “In addition to offering you my warmest congratulations I would like thank you on behalf of everyone at WCM-Q. We are extremely grateful for the wonderful contributions you all make to the students and the wider academic community here – your work is very much appreciated.”
Affiliated faculty member Dr. Ahmad Sami Al-Obaidi, assistant professor of clinical orthopedic surgery at Al Wakrah Hospital, spoke to pay tribute to the work of the administrative staff in WCM-Q’s Office of Clinical and Faculty Affairs (part of the Dean’s Office), who guide and support the promotions process at the college. Dr. Al-Obaidi said: “I am very happy and honored to be here today and I feel very fortunate. Without the support of Sheryl (Alivarvar) and Fatima (Isa) and others, I would not have been able to achieve this promotion, so I am very grateful to them all.”
Full List of Promoted Faculty
Promoted to Professor:
· Jassim Al Suwaidi, Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Al Suwaidi is a senior consultant interventional cardiologist at the Heart Hospital (HMC) and Executive Director of Cardiovascular Research.
· Krystyna Golkowska, Professor of English, WCM-Q
Dr. Golkowska is a full-time faculty member in the Pre-Medical Education Division at WCM-Q.
· Naim Haddad, Professor of Clinical Neurology, WCM-Q
Dr. Haddad is a full-time faculty member in the Medical Education Division at WCM-Q, serving also as Consultant Neurologist at HMC.
· Arash Rafii Tabrizi, Professor of Genetic Medicine and Professor of Genetic Medicine in Obstetrics and Gynecology, WCM-Q
Dr. Tabrizi is a full-time faculty member in the Research Division at WCM-Q.
· Alan Weber, Professor of English
Dr. Weber is a full-time faculty member in the Pre-Medical Education Division at WCM-Q.
Promoted to Associate Professor:
· Kuei-Chiu Chen, Associate Professor of Biology
Dr. Chen is a full-time faculty member in the Pre-Medical Education Division at WCM-Q.
· Sittana Elshafie, Associate Professor of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Dr. Elshafie is a Consultant, Microbiology and Infection Control at Aspetar.
Promoted to Assistant Professor in recognition of their strong local reputation for their expertise in their respective clinical fields, high-quality clinical practice, and commitment to teaching and scholarship.
· Muftah Othman Abdallah, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Abdallah is a Consultant Nephrologist at Hamad General Hospital
· Husham Abdelrahman, Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery
Dr. Abdelrahman is a Consultant in the Trauma Surgery Section at Hamad General Hospital and Director of the Trauma Resuscitation Unit.
· Ahmad Salih Abdulhadi, Assistant Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine
Dr. Salih is a Consultant in the Cardiology Department at the HMC Heart Hospital.
· Hassan Abu Zaid, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Abu Zaid is a Consultant in the Department of Medicine at Al Khor Hospital.
· Ahmad Sami Al-Obaidi, Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Al-Obaidi is an Associate Consultant in the Orthopedic Surgery section at Al Wakrah Hospital.
· Tayseer AlSaad, Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
Dr. AlSaad has been a Senior Attending Physician Pediatrics at Sidra since November 2017. He previously served for 27 years as a consultant at HMC.
· Ahmad Alsheikhly, Assistant Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine
Dr. Alsheikhly is an Associate Consultant in the Emergency Department at Hamad General Hospital.
· Moataz Bashah, Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery
Dr. Bashah is a Consultant, Bariatrics and Metabolic Surgery Services in Department of Surgery at Hamad General Hospital. He is also the Director of Bariatrics and Metabolic Surgery Services at HMC.
· Yahia Imam, Assistant Professor of Clinical Neurology
Dr. Imam is a Consultant, Neurology at Hamad General Hospital.
· Osama Sinan, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Sinan is a Senior Consultant in the Emergency Department at Al Khor Hospital and Chair of the Emergency Department Management Committee.