The department’s public health research program will focus on problems of public health importance to the State of Qatar. Some of the topics, which the department will focus on, are motor vehicle injuries and other injuries, health and disease prevalence patterns, use of herbal and nutritional supplements and risk factors associated to chronic diseases among the Qatari population.
Ongoing research projects:
- Herbal and Nutritional Supplements
- Epidemiological Study of Motor Vehicle Injuries
- Diabetes: It's Epidemiological and Public Health Aspects
- Human Development Index
Some Recent Publications:
- Chouchane L, Mamtani R, Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AA, Ameduri M, Sheikh JI. Medical education and research environment in Qatar: a new epoch for translational research in the Middle East. Journal of Translational Medicine. 2011 Jan 27; 9:16.
- Elnashar, M; Abdelrahim, H; Fetters, MD (2012). "Cultural Competence Springs Up in the Desert: The Story of the Center for Cultural Competence in Health Care at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar." Academic Medicine 87(6): 759-766.
- Mamtani R, Stern P, Dawood I, Cheema S. Metals and disease: a global primary health care perspective. Journal of Toxicology 2011; 2011: 319136. Published online 2011 October 5. doi: 10.1155/2011/319/136
- Mamtani R, Al-Thani MH, Al-Thani AM, Sheikh JI, Lowenfels AB. Motor vehicle injuries in Qatar: time trends in a rapidly developing Middle Eastern nation. Injury Prevention. doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2011-040147. Published online first 12 October 2011