Dr. Mahfoud is an Associate Professor of Biostatistics and Healthcare Policy and Research at Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar (WCM-Q). Prior to coming to WCM-Q in September 2010, he served as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Statistics and School of Public Health of the University of Kentucky (2001 – 2004) and an Assistant and Associate Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Population Health at the American University in Beirut (2004-2010). Dr. Mahfoud holds a Ph.D. in Statistics from the University of Florida.
Dr. Mahfoud’s research interests focus mainly on Tobacco use, mental health, and medical education. He is particularly interested in youth and tobacco, pregnancy and tobacco, and validation of mental health scales. Also, he has published in the area of HIV among most at risk populations. He is currently the principal investigator and co-principal investigator on several grants looking at epidemiology of epilepsy in Qatar, finding alternatives to informed consent in Qatar, and evaluating school interventions for prevention and cessation of shisha smoking. He also supports several faculty members in the design, conduct, and analysis of research projects. Dr. Mahfoud initiated and participated in several training workshops for medical students, research assistants and associates, residents, and fellows on topics such as epidemiology, biostatistics, evaluating published medical articles and evidence based medicine.
- Alaouie H, Afifi R, Haddad P, Mahfoud Z, Nakkash R. Effectiveness of Pictorial Health Warnings on Cigarette Packs among Lebanese school and university students. Tobacco Control . doi:10.116/tobaccoconol-2012-05074
- Mahfoud Z, Ghandour L, Ghandour B, Mokdad A, Sibai A. (2013) Comparison of Cell Phone and Face-to-Face Interviews in Population Based Surveys. Field Methods (In Press)
- Al Shaar L, Chaaya M, Ghosen N, Mahfoud Z . Brucellosis Outbreak in Chouf District-Lebanon, 2009: A case control Study. Easter Mediterranean Health Journal (In press)
- El-Molayess G, Mahfoud Z, Schakal A, Salti H, Jaafar D, Bashshur Z, Fixed-Interval vs. OCT-Guided Variable Dosing of Intravitreal Bevacizumab in the Management of Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Twelve Months Randomized Prospective Study. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2012; 153(3):481-489
- Khoury N, Mahfoud Z, Masrouha k, ElKattah R, Assaad T, Abdallah A, Hourani M. Value of sagittal fat-suppressed proton-density fast spin-echo of the knee joint as a limited protocol in evaluating internal knee derangements. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography 2011; 35(5):653-661
- Mahfoud Z, Abdulrahim S, Badaro Taha M, Harpham T, El Hajj T., Makhoul J., Nakkash R, Kanj M, Afifi R. Construct and Clinical Validation of the Arab Youth Mental Health Scale. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health 2011;Mar 24;5:9.
- Chaaya M, Osman H, Naasan G, and Mahfoud Z (corresponding author). Validation of the Arabic Version of Perceived Stress Scale. BMC Psychiatry 2010;doi:1011.86/1471-244X-10-111
- Mumtaz G., Nassar A., Mahfoud Z., El-Khamra A., Al-Choueiri N., Adra A., Murray J., Zalloua P., Yunis K. Consanguinity: A risk Factor for Preterm Birth at Less than 33 Weeks' Gestation. American Journal of Epidemiology 2010;172: 1424-1430
- Mahfoud Z, Afifi R, Ramia S, El Khoury D, Kassak K, El Barbir F, Ghanem M, El-Nakib M, DeJong J. HIV/AIDS among female sex workers, injecting drug users and men who have sex with men in Lebanon: results of the first biobehavioral surveys. AIDS. 2010 Jul;24 Suppl 2:S45-54
- Mahfoud Z, Kassak K, Kreidieh K, Shamra S, Ramia S. Distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes among injecting drug users in Lebanon. Virol J. 2010;7:96.
- Mahfoud ZR, Afifi RA, Haddad PH, DeJong J. Prevalence and determinants of suicide ideation among Lebanese adolescents: Results of the GSHS Lebanon 2005. Journal of Adolescence. 2010;Forthcoming, Corrected Proof.