Dr. Ming-Jung Ho joined WCM-Q in August 2016 as Professor of Medicine, Assistant Dean for Continuing Professional Development, and Director of the Office of Educational Development in the Medical Education Division. She earned a BA in Biological Anthropology from Harvard University, an M.D. from University of Pennsylvania, and an M.Phil. in Ethnology and Museum Ethnography from University of Oxford, where she also received a D.Phil. in Social Anthropology. She taught at National Taiwan University, National Yang Ming University, and Chang Gung University before and has won several teaching awards.
Dr. Ho’s teaching and academic interest lies in the application of anthropology to medical education. She has published articles in leading international journals including Academic Medicine, Medical Education, Medical Teacher, Medical Anthropology Quarterly, and Social Science and Medicine. Her research projects on the theme of cultural competency and professionalism have garnered awards from the Association for Medical Education in Europe, the Taiwan Association of Medical Education, and the National Science Council of Taiwan. She serves on the Taiwan Medical Accreditation Council and the International Editorial Board of Medical Education, and Tutor, the official journal of the Italian Society of Medical Education. She is also an Associate Editor of Clinical Teacher and BMC Medical Education, as well as an International Relations Officer of the Association for Medical Education in Europe.
In addition to her professional activities, Dr. Ho is a musician, having won national championships in piano and musical composition before entering professional schools. She is active in global health, having facilitated medical student participation in service learning projects in China, India, Ladakh, Malawi, Nepal, Panama, Philippines, Solomon Islands among other countries.
- Gosselin K, Norris JL, Ho MJ. Beyond homogenization discourse: Reconsidering the cultural consequences of globalized medical education. Medical teacher. 2015 Nov 16.
- Lee KL, Tsai SL, Chiu YT, Ho MJ. Can student self-ratings be compared with peer ratings? A study of measurement invariance of multisource feedback. Advances in health sciences education : theory and practice. 2015 Sep 19.
- Ho MJ, Shaw K, Liu TH, Norris J, Chiu YT. Equal, global, local: discourses in Taiwan's international medical graduate debate. Medical education. 2015 Jan;49(1):48-59.
- Ho MJ, Chang HH, Chiu YT, Norris JL. Effects of hospital accreditation on medical students: a national qualitative study in Taiwan. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 2014 Nov;89(11):1533-9.
- Ho MJ, Yu KH, Pan H, Norris JL, Liang YS, Li JN, Hirsh D. A tale of two cities: understanding the differences in medical professionalism between two Chinese cultural contexts. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 2014 Jun;89(6):944-50.
- Tsai SL, Ho MJ, Hirsh D, Kern DE. Defiance, compliance, or alliance? How we developed a medical professionalism curriculum that deliberately connects to cultural context. Medical teacher. 2012;34(8):614-7.
- Ho MJ, Lin CW, Chiu YT, Lingard L, Ginsburg S. A cross-cultural study of students' approaches to professional dilemmas: sticks or ripples. Medical education. 2012 Mar;46(3):245-56.
- Ho MJ, Yu KH, Hirsh D, Huang TS, Yang PC. Does one size fit all? Building a framework for medical professionalism. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges. 2011 Nov;86(11):1407-14.