Dr. Lotfi Chouchane is professor in the departments of genetic medicine, and microbiology and immunology of Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Chouchane received his Ph.D. in immunology from Pasteur Institute of Paris and the University of Paris VII. Following a four-year post-doctoral position at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, in the U.S., he obtained his D. Sc. in human genetics and immunology. He then joined the National Institute of Medical Research in Paris as visiting scientist.
Before joining WCM-Q in July 2005, Prof. Chouchane was at the Faculty of Medicine of Monastir University in Tunisia, where he worked as professor of human genetics and immunology, and chief of the laboratory of immuno-oncology. He was the chair of the department of basic science during the period between 1996 and 2002.
Dr. Chouchane is currently the Assistant Dean for Basic Science Curriculum, Associate Director and Faculty of the Molecules Genes & Cells and the Host defenses courses of the 1st year Medical Program and the course Director of the Human Genetics Course of the 2nd year of the Pre-medical Program at WCM-Q.
His current research interests include the genetics and immunology of multi-factorial diseases including cancer, obesity & Diabetes. Dr. Chouchane is a member of the Human Genome Organization (HUGO), a member of the advisory board of the Centre for Arab Genomic Studies of Dubai, and a member of the Immunoscore consortium.
- Chouchane L; Boussen H; Sastry KSR. Breast cancer in Arab populations: molecular characteristics and disease management implications. The Lancet Oncology 2013;14:e417-e424.
- Shan J, Dsousza SP, Bakhru S, Al-Azwani EK, Ascierto ML, Sastry KS, Bedri S, Kizhakayil D, Aigha II, Malek J, Al-Bozom I, Gehani S, Furtado S, Mathiew E, Wang E, Marincola FM, Chouchane L. TNRC9 downregulates BRCA1 expression and promotes breast cancer aggressiveness. Cancer Research. 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rodriguez-Flores JL, Fuller J, Hackett NR, Salit J, Malek JA, Al-Dous E, Chouchane L, Zirie M, Jayoussi A, Mahmoud MA, Crystal RG, Mezey JG. Exome sequencing of only seven Qataris identifies potentially deleterious variants in the Qatari population. PLoS One. 2012;7:e47614. doi: 10.1371
- Shan J, Mahfoudh W, Dsouza SP, Hassen E, Bouaouina N, Abdelhak S, Benhadjayed A, Memmi H, Mathew RA, Aigha II, Gabbouj S, Remadi Y, Chouchane L. Genome-Wide Association Studies (GWAS) breast cancer susceptibility loci in Arabs: susceptibility and prognostic implications in Tunisians. Breast Cancer Research & Treatment. 2012;135:715-24. doi: 10.1007.
- Kazantzis M, Takahashi V, Hinkle J, Kota S, Zilberfarb V, Issad T, Abdelkarim M, Chouchane L, Strosberg AD. PAZ6 cells constitute a representative model for human brown pre-adipocytes. Frontiers in Endocrinology (Lausanne). 2012;3:13. doi: 10.3389.
- Chouchane L, Mamtani R, Dallol A, Sheikh JI. Personalized medicine: a patient-centered paradigm. Journal Translational Medicine. 2011;9:206. doi: 10.1186.