Dr. Al-Amin joined Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar (WCM-Q) in 2009 and has been actively involved in teaching at many levels, including medical students during the Psychiatry clerkship and residents at the Psychiatry Residency Program at Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC). He serves as the Associate Director of the Psychiatry clerkship at WCM-Q and was the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs from June 2011 through December 2012 and the Chair of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) at WCM-Q from June 2010 through December 2012. In addition, Dr. Al-Amin serves on a number of committees including the Interim Executive Committee for the Neuroscience Institute and the Joint National Mental Health Committee in Qatar.
Prior to coming to WCM-Q, Dr. Al-Amin served as a faculty member at the American University of Beirut (AUB), Department of Psychiatry since 1997, where he was involved in several academic activities, including teaching Psychopathology, Ethics, and the required psychiatry rotation for the Family Medicine department. He supervised several MS students for their thesis in Neuroscience at AUB.
His current research interests include the metabolic syndrome in patients on antipsychotics; and the possible dopamine, glutamate, and cytokines interactions in the neuropsychiatric syndromes like chronic pain, addiction, and schizophrenia. He is also involved in several projects related to the translation and cultural adaptation of clinical psychiatric scales to Arabic. He has served as principal investigator on a number of international multicenter clinical trials assessing atypical antipsychotics in schizophrenia and Bipolar disorder.
- Saadé NE, Al Amin HA, Barchini J, Tchachaghian S, Shamaa F, Jabbur SJ, Atweh SF. Brainstem injection of lidocaine releases the descending pain-inhibitory mechanisms in a rat model of mononeuropathy. Exp Neurol. 2012 Sep;237(1):180-90.
- Sarkis R, Saadé N, Atweh S, Jabbur S, Al-Amin H. Chronic dizocilpine or apomorphine and development of neuropathy in two rat models I: Behavioral effects and role of nucleus accumbens. Exp Neurol. 2011 Mar; 228(1):19-29.
- Al-Amin H, Sarkis R, Atweh S, Jabbur S, Saadé N. Chronic dizocilpine or apomorphine and development of neuropathy in two animal models II: Effects on brain cytokines and neurotrophins. Exp Neurol. 2011 Mar; 228(1):30-40.
- Saadé NE, Al-Amin HA, Tchachaghian S, Jabbur SJ, and Atweh, SF. Alteration of GABAergic and glycinergic mechanisms by lidocaine injection in the rostral ventromedialmedulla of neuropathic rats. PAIN (2010) Apr; 149(1):89-99.
- El-Rawas R, Saadé NE, Thiriet N, Atweh S, Jaber M, Al-Amin HA. Developmental changes in the mRNA expression of neuropeptides and dopamine and glutamate receptors in neonates and adult rats after ventral hippocampal lesion. Schizophr Res. 2009 Sep;113(2-3):298-307.
- Sibai AM, Chaaya M, Tohme RA, Mahfoud Z, Al-Amin H. Validation of the arabic version of the 5-item who well being index in elderly population. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009 Jan;24(1):106-7
- Chayya M, Sibai AM, Roueiheb ZE, Chemaitelly H, Chahine LM, Al-Amin H, Mahfoud Z. Validation of the Arab version of the short Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS – 15). Int Psychogeriatr.2008 Jun;20(3):571-81.