The Medicine Clerkship is a required eight-week clinical rotation. During their 3rd year, medical students will rotate through service sites at Hamad General hospital, Al Wakra Hospital and Hamad Medical City where they will be exposed to the outpatient, inpatient and emergent management of patients. Clerkship instructions include active clinical experiential learning, interactive case-based tutorials and individual and collaborative mini-projects all designed to achieve the following learning objectives.
By the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the pathophysiology, etiology, clinical features, diagnosis, management, and prognosis of specific diseases commonly treated on an internal medicine service.
- Explain the diagnostic approach to common presenting symptoms and signs in Internal Medicine.
- Identify characteristics of a functioning medical team.
- Perform a complete and focused history and physical examination on patients hospitalized for medical illnesses.
- Write a complete admission note, including history, physical exam, basic laboratory data, summary of case, assessment, and recommendations for diagnostic tests and therapy.
- Write complete and accurate daily progress notes.
- Develop the problem list, differential diagnosis, diagnostic strategy, and management plan for common medical problems.
- Interpret common laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- Function as a member of the medical team.
- Demonstrate clear and organized communication and interpersonal skills during patient interactions, during oral case presentations, in case write- ups, and in admission and progress notes.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to patients’ medical and psychosocial needs, including ethical patient care and confidentiality.
- Demonstrate honesty and integrity in all interactions and activities with patients, families, medical colleagues and others.
- Maintain a professional demeanor in his/her work, including demonstrating an attitude that values timely attendance, punctuality, reliability, and accountability in the performance of his/her duties.
Display respect for members of the health-care team.
Clerkship Director: Mai A. Mahmoud, MD, FACP
Staff Support: firstname.lastname@example.org