Assistant Dean for Premedical Education
Phone: (+974) 4492 8217
Dr. Kevin Smith is an Associate Professor at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMC-Q) with the shared responsibility for teaching the Organic Chemistry lectures and labs. He was appointed as Assistant Dean, Pre-medical Education in 2009. With a Ph.D. from Dalhousie University, Halifax, CANADA, Dr. Smith was an Assistant Professor at the University of Lethbridge, Alberta, before joining WCMC-Q in 2003.
Dr. Smith's areas of research interests are in natural product structural elucidation and investigation of biosynthetic pathways. He has particular interest in compounds having biological activity related to medicinal and agricultural applications, especially those produced as a result of interspecies interactions (e.g. pathogenic disease response).
- I. Kovalchuk, J. Furanoski, K. Smith and O. Kovalchuk, The Dualistic Nature of Radicals: the High-Low Phenomenon, Plant Cell and Environment, 26, 1531 - 1539 (2003).
- M.S.C. Pedras, I.L. Zaharia, Y. Gai, K.C. Smith, and D.E. Ward, Metabolism of the Host-Selective Toxins Destruxin B and Homodestruxin B: Probing a Plant Disease Resistance Trait, Organic Letters, 1, 1655-1658, (1999, Inaugural Volume).
- M.S.C. Pedras, K.C. Smith, and J.L. Taylor. Production of a 2,5-dioxopiperazine by a new type of the 4blackleg fungus Phoma lingam, Phytochem. 49, 1575 - 1577 (1998).
- M.S.C. Pedras and K.C. Smith. Sinalexin, A new phytoalexin from white mustard elicited by destruxin B and Alternaria brassicae, Phytochem., 46, 833 - 837 (1997).
- Y. Le, K.C. Smith, L.C. Vining, and R.L. White. Mutants of Streptomyces akiyoshiensis blocked in 5-hydroxy-4-oxonorvaline production. J. Antibiotics, 49, 107-109 (1996).
- K.C. Smith, R.L. White, Y. Le, and L.C. Vining. Isolation of N-acetyl-3,4-dihydroxy-L- phenylalanine from Streptomyces akiyoshiensis. J. Nat. Prod., 58, 1274-1277 (1995).
- R.L. White, K.C. Smith, and A.C. DeMarco. Biosynthesis of 5-hydroxy-4-oxo-L-norvaline in Streptomyces akiyoshiensis. Can. J. Chem. 72, 1645-1655 (1994).
- R.L. White, A.C. DeMarco, and K.C. Smith. Biosynthesis of the unusual amino acid 5-hydroxy-4-oxonorvaline. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 110, 8228-8229 (1988).