Senior Adviser to the Dean of WCM-Q
Vice Chair, Surgery (WCMC)
Phone: (+974) 4492 8361
Dr. Bakr Nour joined Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar (WCM-Q) in January 2007 as Professor of Surgery, Vice Chair of the Department of Surgery, and Director of the Surgery Clerkship. He held the position of Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs from December 2009 through June 2015. In July 2015 he was appointed as Senior Adviser to the Dean of WCM-Q As a Consultant in General Surgery in Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC), he has started a Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary surgical service and a Liver Transplant Clinic. In 2009, he was appointed as Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs.
Dr. Nour has held academic positions at the University of Alexandria, the University of Pittsburgh, Oklahoma University College of Medicine, and the University of Texas, Arlington School of Nursing. In terms of clinical positions, Dr. Nour has been Attending Surgeon at Shatby Children's University Hospital in Alexandria, Egypt, Main University Hospital in Alexandria Egypt, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh, and INTEGRIS Baptist Medical Center. At INTEGRIS, he served consecutively as Chief of Pediatric Liver Transplant, Chief of Abdominal Organ Transplantation, and Chairman of the Department of Transplantation. While he was Chairman, he also served as Director of the INTEGRIS Nazih Zuhdi Transplant Institute in Oklahoma City.
In addition to building a strong academic Department of General Surgery for the benefit of the WCM-Q medical students, his major objective during his tenure in Qatar is to facilitate the development of surgical research programs focused on transplantation, liver tumors, surgical simulation, and use of robotics.
In 2012, he was invited by the Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon, Beijing Naval Hospital, Beijing, China and SKMC Hospital, Abu Dhabi, UAE to lecture on his 30 years experience on Liver Transplantation.
In 2015, he was invited to two grand rounds in North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Long Island, NY and Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY.
- Akdogan M, Camci C, Gurakar A, Gilcher R, Alamian S, Wright H, Nour B, Sebastian A. The effect of total plasma exchange on fulminant hepatic failure. J Clin Apheresis 2006;21:96-9.
- Aladag M, Gurakar A, Camci C, Yong Y, Wright H, Nour B, Sebastian A. Compatible ABO mismatch and Liver Transplantation: a single center Experience. Exp Clin Transplant 2006;1:467-9.
- Paris W, Nour B. Organ transplantation in Egypt. Prog Transplant 2010;20(3):274-8.
- Alsaied O, Bener A, Al-Mosalamani Y, Nour B. Knowledge and Attitudes of Healthcare Professional Towards Organ Donation and Transplantation. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2012; 23(6): 1304-10
- El Gharbawy RM, Nour BM. Segment 4 Architecture and Proposed Parenchyma-Wise Technique for Ex Vivo Graft Procurement and Implantation. Liver Transpl 2013;19:1189-1203.