Assistant Dean for Premedical Student Learning
Phone: (+974) 4492 8334
Dr. Dietrich Büsselberg joined Weill Cornell Medicine - Q (WCM-Q) in January 2010. Prior to coming to WCM-Q, he served as Professor of Physiology and Neuroscience at Texas Tech University, Health Science Center, Paul L. Foster School of Medicine. Dr. Büsselberg holds a State Exam for Teaching from the University of Hannover, Germany (1981) a B.S and M.S. from University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany (1987) and a Ph.D. from the University of Hohenheim (Germany), Institute of Zoology in collaboration with the University of Albany (U.S.), School of Public Health (1989). In 1995, he received a habilitation and venia legendi for Physiology from the Heinrich-Heine University of Düsseldorf Medical School.
Following his formal education, he served as substitute for the Chair of Physiology at the University of Essen, Institute of Physiology; as Assistant Professor (Priv.-Doz.) at the University of Göttingen, Institute of Physiology; and as Associate Professor (Apl. Professor) at the University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of Physiology.
Dr. Büsselberg describes his research as actively involved in (neuro-) physiology with his research group especially interested in the field of (neuro-) physiology/(neuro-) pharmacology and cell signaling, using molecular and electrophysiological approaches as well as cellular imaging techniques.
- Shevtsova NA, Büsselberg D, Molkov VL, Bischoff AM, Smith JC, Rybak IA and Richter DW. Effects of glycinergic inhibition failure on respiratory rhythm and pattern generation. Progress in Brain Research; Vol. 209, pp.25-38; (2014).
- Shanmugam V, Wafi A, Al-Taweel N, Büsselberg D. Disruption of Circadian Rhythm Increases the Risk of Cancer, Metabolic Syndrome and Cardiovascular Disease A Review. The Journal of Local and Global Health Science; http://dx.doi.org/10.5339/jlghs.2013.3; (2013).
- Florea AM, Büsselberg D. Breast cancer and possible mechanisms of therapy resistance. The Journal of Local and Global Health Science; http://dx.doi.org/10.5339/jlghs.2013.2; (2013).
- Florea AM, Taban J, Varghese E, Alost BT, Moreno S, Büsselberg D. Lead (Pb²+) Neurotoxicity: Ion-Mimicry with Calcium (Ca²+) Impairs Synaptic Transmission. A Review with Animated Illustrations of Pre- and Post-synaptic Lead Effects. The Journal of Local and Global Health Science; 2013.4 (2013).
- Florea AM, Büsselberg D. The two opposite facets of arsenic: Toxin and anticancer drug. The Journal of Local and Global Health Science; 2013 http://dx.doi.org/10.5339/jlghs.2013.1 (2013).
- Sadiq S, Ghazala Z, Chowdhury A, Büsselberg D. Metal toxicity at the synapse: presynaptic, postsynaptic and long-term effects. Journal of Toxicology; Special Issue “Metals and Disease” 2012:132671 (2012).
- Hagenacker T, Schäfer N, Büsselberg D, Schäfers M. Analgesic ineffectiveness of lacosamide after spinal nerve ligation and its sodium channel activity in injured neurons European Journal of Pain DOI: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2012.00260; (2012).