Associate Professor of Genetic Medicine in Obstetrics/Gynecology
Phone: (+974) 4492 8410
Dr. Rafii received an M.D. from the Université Paris V René Descartes and a Ph.D. in Molecular Oncology from the Université Paris XI, Kremelin Bicetre. Subsequently, he was a resident in Gynecology-Obstetrics at the Assistance Public-Hopitaux de Paris and a Fellow in Gynecologic Oncology at the Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse. Additional academic positions held by Dr. Rafii include Research Fellow at Washington University, St. Louis, Assistant Professor at the Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, and Junior Faculty member at INSERM, U872, Paris. From 2007 to 2008, he was an attending physician in Gynecologic Oncology at the Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse, France.
Dr. Rafii's research has focused on stem cell science and gynecologic oncology, in particular the role of the interaction between mesenchymal stem cells and cancer cells in the acquisition of chemoresistance. At Weill Cornell Medicine - Q (WCM-Q), his research focuses on ovarian cancer and stem cell biology. Through collaboration with WCMC Department of Genetic Medicine as well as the Ansary Stem Cell Center for Regenerative Medicine, his laboratory uses a system biology approach to stroma mediated cancer resistance as well as to organ regeneration. His laboratory has many international collaboration and leads a large network focusing on ovarian cancer.
- Malek J, Martinez A, Eliane M, Raynaud C, Huang R, Jouve E, Ferron G, Thiery JP, Querleu D, Rafii A. Gene expression analysis of matched ovarian primary tumors and peritoneal metastasis. Journal of translational medicine. In press.
- Raynaud C, Maleki M, Abdallah S, Lis R, Taha R, Mattews C, Safadi F, Rafii A. Stem cells Int. Isolation and comprehensive characterization of Mesenchyaml stem cells form human placenta and amniotic membrane and their response to osteoactivin. In press
- Malek J, Eliane M, Ruby H, Eva J, Lis R, Thiery JP, Querleu D, Rafii A. Copy number variation analysis of matched ovarian primary tumors and peritoneal metastasis. PLoS One. 2011;6(12):e28561
- Guerrouahen B, Alhijji I and Rafii A. Osteoblastic and vascular endothelial niches, their control on normal hematopoietic stem cells and their consequences on the development of leukemia. Stem cell International. 2011:375857
- Fitzgerald DW, Bezak K, Ocheritina O, Riviere C, Wright TC, Milne GL, Zhou XK, Du B, Subbaramaiah K, Byrt E, Goodwin ML, Rafii A, Dannenberg AJ. The Effect of HIV and HPV Co-infection on Cervical COX-2 Expression and Systemic Prostaglandin E2 Levels. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012 Jan;5(1):34-40. Epub 2011 Dec 1.
- Lis R, Touboul C, Mirshahi P, Ali F, Mathew S, Nolan DJ, Maleki M, Abdalla SA, Raynaud CM, Querleu D, Al-Azwani E, Malek J, Mirshahi M, Rafii A. Tumor associated mesenchymal stem cells protects ovarian cancer cells from hyperthermia through CXCL12. International Journal of Cancer. 2011 Feb 1;128(3):715-25.